W1siziisimnvbxbpbgvkx3rozw1lx2fzc2v0cy9czw5jag1hcmsvanbnl2jhbm5lci1kzwzhdwx0lmpwzyjdxq

Advice Centre

Apprenticeship Levy - A New Future for Apprenticeships

W1siziisijiwmtkvmdivmdevmdkvndyvndivnte3l2fwchjlbnrpy2vzaglwlmpwzyjdlfsiccisinrodw1iiiwiodawedy1mfx1mdazyyjdxq

Benchmark Recruit Employer Advice, advice-center

The introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy on April 6th is set to create monumental changes in the future of Apprenticeships. From this date onwards businesses with a payroll of over £3million will be required to invest in apprenticeships. The Apprenticeship Levy will see a co-investment and development of vocational skills designed to significantly increase the quantity of Apprenticeships - the target set at 3 million apprentices by 2020.

Employers which fall into this bracket will make a 10% contribution to the cost of training and the government will make up the remaining 90%.
 
The funding will contribute to two different types of apprenticeships 1) Apprenticeship Standards, covering specific occupations and setting out core skills. 2) Apprenticeship Frameworks, a series of work related vocational and professional qualifications, with work place and classroom training. 
 
Benchmark's Managing Director Louisa Harrison-Walker commented: 
 
"Not all employers are aware that while someone is studying, as long as they are under 25 they no longer have to pay class 1 National Insurance, which on an £18,000 salary is roughly a £1,400 saving. So for companies not affected by this levy this is still a good reason to use the apprenticeship framework to upskill existing employers as they will also get the National Insurance break.
 
With 87% of businesses in the Sheffield City Region being micro employers of 9 or less, the majority of organisations won't be affected by the lvy, but could benefit from the opportunity to upskill existing work forces with higher level apprenticeships."
 
Andrew Harley, Business Development Director, The Sheffield City College, said: "Recruiting apprentices is advantageous for large, medium and small employers as they can mold new talent to their business needs and get the skills they need for growth. We would encourage businesses of all sizes to get in touch with us to find out how they can benefit from apprenticeships and the levy." 
 
The Sheffield College - which has a £321 million economic impact on the city annually - works with 850 employers to deliver apprenticeship programmes in a wide range of industry sectors for more than 2,000 apprentices. Visit The Sheffield College