£10 per hour
7 months ago
The Dream Career:
*25th November – 8th December*
38 hours per week
8.30am – 3.30pm
£10 per hour
The Job Role:
The Purpose of this role:
To support a Visually Impaired Teacher in the application of her role as a Teacher of visually impaired children for Sheffield City Council.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
In class support:
To provide support to teacher within the classroom environment, carrying out duties as directed by the teacher:
- Hand out materials
- Read materials out loud
- Help monitor production of student work
- Advise on students’ neatness and accuracy
- Help with the setting up of technology
- Locate materials in the classroom
To provide support in work with students which is non-classroom based:
- Support teacher when running clubs at lunch-time or after school
- Support when conducting Functional Vision Assessments
- Support when observing students or teaching assistants
- Provide visual/non-verbal information
- Report any safeguarding concerns
- Provide sighted guide to the students
- Provide sighted guide to the teacher as needed
- Support when visiting families in their homes
To assist with marking, feedback and assessment:
- Access student files on the computer for the teacher as necessary
- Complete marking checklists/electronic mark books as directed by the teacher
- Be present at standardisation/moderation meetings to read out materials
- Print out copies of student marked work for folders.
To provide support to prepare Materials:
- Aid with the formatting of teacher-made electronic resources
- Print out electronic resources
- Photocopy or collect photocopied resources
- Help with other preparations such as gluing, cutting, paper slicing and laminating
- Make tactile books.
- Make print/braille resources for lessons as directed.
- Use Duxbury to emboss braille resources.
- Braille materials using the perkins braille machine.
- Make tactile diagrams using Zychem or German Film
- Collect, open and read post
- File student work; documents or resources as required
Providing materials in accessible formats:
- Type up handwritten or printed documents
- Transfer electronic documents (such as from Publisher or PDFs) to accessible formats
- Read out documents.
- Look through materials with teacher to decide what is needed.
- Contact publishers regarding sourcing accessible files
- Source or type up or scan sections from books
- Access RNIB Bookshare and The Online Accessible Library to download electronic copies of books.
- Make audio-recordings of written documents as necessary
- Help with the completion of written forms and/or that the formatting of those completed electronically are accurate
- Provide descriptions of visual materials either orally or in writing
- Complete forms for The Department for Work and Pensions each month.
- Provide support on trips
- Attend external meetings and courses with teacher
- Help with navigation/mobility around sites as necessary
- Help exit in the event of a fire alarm
- Attend internal/team meetings and annual reviews as required
- Make notes at meetings and provide to teacher
- Make hot drinks for teacher or visitors
- Support when teacher is providing training
- Support teacher when needing to get food
- Provide additional administrative support necessary for the role
- Any such other tasks that are deemed necessary and relevant
The successful candidate will need to complete a DBS enhanced check.
For further information about this role please contact email@example.com